Brothers and Sisters:
We are witnessing a great deal of change in how our society operates in a very short period of time. As everyone is aware Alberta is currently under a Public Health Emergency and there isn’t one individual that hasn’t already been affected by this in some way. As this unprecedented situation continues to unfold and social distancing becomes the new norm, we encourage everyone to continue to adhere to the rules laid out by our elected officials and health professionals. Updates and links pertaining to COVID-19 can be found at the end of this document.
Members of Local 488 perform an essential service to everyday Albertans and we are engaged with our Contractors and Government in an effort keep as many Members working as possible. Safety is still the primary focus and we want to thank members for stepping up to the new challenges we face in performing our work. Contractors are working diligently with their customers and clients in an effort to continue providing access to our work while complying with the new social standards. However, many sectors of our economy have been devastated by COVID-19. We will continue to support our members, contractors and industry through every step of this process.
We’ve already seen several Members and their families affected by the Public Health Emergency in the form of layoffs, quarantines and cancelled apprenticeship classes just to name a few. Although the UA Local 488 offices are closed in Fort McMurray, Edmonton and Calgary, we want to ensure our members that we are available by phone, text or email. Please don’t hesitate to reach out, especially if your work situation changes
Frequently Asked Questions from Members;
- What should I do if I’m laid off or have to Quarantine?
- Notify Local 488, we can help with your Record of Employment (ROE) (if required)
- Apply for Employment Insurance Benefits through Service Canada (https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-socialdevelopment/corporate/notices/coronavirus.html) or 1-833-381-2725
- Complete an “Out of Work” form and return to Local 488
- Contact your Local 488 Representative with any questions or concerns
- If you get sick and are prevented from going to work, request an ROE from your employer (sick leave / quarantine)
- Apply for Employment Insurance Benefits through Service Canada (link above)
- If you are diagnosed with an illness, contact the Health & Welfare office (780)452- 1331
- Members have 30-days from diagnosis to start a short-term disability claim
- ntact the Health & Welfare office with any questions or concerns
- Through the Health & Welfare plan, members and their dependents have free & confidential professional support
- The Construction Employee Family Assistance Program (CEFAP) provides Counselling, Education and Self Development Services
- Contact CEFAP @ 1-800-663-1142
- Contractors are dealing with a lot of uncertainty but are still looking for the right skillset
- If you are a good fit for the posting on the job board, please apply
- Jobs can be found on the dispatch page @ www.local488.ca
- Remain healthy, follow health recommendations and work safely
- Take care of your family, friends and neighbours
- Seek help when you need it
The old saying; “we will get through this together” seems to have gained allot more meaning these days.
Business Manager/Financial Secretary
Important Links Regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Employment Insurance: https://www.canada.ca/en/employmentsocialdevelopment/corporate/notices/coronavirus.html.
- How EI Benefits For COVID-19 Quarantines Will Work Under The New Rules: https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/canada-sick-leave-ei-benefitscoronavirus.
- Sickness Benefits: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/eisickness.html.
- Long-Term Illness And Injury Leave In Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/longterm-illness-injuryleave.aspx.
- Infection Prevention and Control Canada: https://ipac-canada.org/coronavirusresources.php
- Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19): Resources for Canadian Businesses: https://www.tradecommissioner.gc.ca/campaign-campagne/ressourcesentreprises-COVID-19- business-resources.aspx?lang=eng.
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Info for Albertans: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-trudeau-says-financial-help-ison-the-wayamid-covid-19-pandemic/